Just like Vivaldi, the mysterious British musician, known only as Nhor has made his own ode to the four seasons. Originally these homages were released in cassette format over the course of last year, with each tape release coinciding with it corresponding season. Now they’ve been compiled on one double LP called Wildflowers.
While Nhor’s previous outings like Within the Darkness Between the Starlight were moving pieces of mournful black metal, Wildflowers takes a more minimalistic approach and consists solely of sparse piano melodies, with not a hint of distorted guitars or anguished blackened screams in sight.
Like the flowers it has taken its name from, the music is delicate with its untamed beauty popping up where you would not expect it, hiding unnoticed in plain sight unless you allow yourself to pause for a moment and see. It’s not exactly the type of music you would let blasting in your car on your way to a festival, but rather one to be enjoyed alone, with your headphones on. Each piece is stripped to the bone with one single note at times stretched out in an almost drone like measure.
Despite each season being given its own distinct flavor, all compositions share a common melancholic mood, starting with spring and then journeys across the days until winter. Wildflowers will only be released on vinyl and in a limited run of 300 copies in green and black vinyl.
Release date: June 21st, 2018
Label: Prophecy Productions
2. Knelt at the Altar that Lays Atop the Stars
3. And So Passes the Glory of Our World
4. There was a Time When I Knew the Way
7. Let the Rains Knock at My Door
8. In Moonlight
1. Light, Sing to Me
2. Where Morning Breaks Over the Pines
3. I Have No Stars Left to Wish Upon
4. Even in Dreams
5. You Will Never Shine as Bright as the Moon
6. I Remember
7. Sunlit Rest
1. All That Is Sacred to Me
2. Where They Once Were
3. The Trees Knew Not of Me Then
5. We Set Their Bodies Free in the Cold River
6. What We Hid in the Night
7. Fire Promises Guidance
8. In Search of Those We Lost
2. Murmurations Above Me
3. Owls Through Snowfall
4. Wreaths of Hoarfrost
5. The Moon Belongs to All and None
6. They Leave No Trace
7. I Found You There, Beside the Night