We already got a little bit of foreplay from Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio on the EP Ménage à Quatre, but the real orgy gets started with Let’s Play. It took 7 years in total to write this album, placing its composition across the releases of both its counterparts Songs 4 Hate and Love and Vision/ Libertine. Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio got started in the mid nineties after the dissolution of Tomas Pettersson’s dark ambient project Archon Satani. A minimalistic, pitch black undertaking of martial, occult industrial. With the turn of the century the outfit was refitted in a new constellation and renamed Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio. Although early albums like Reaping the Fallen, the First Harvest still showed a lot of similarities to his previous band, it also incorporated neo folk influences from Death in June and Sol Invictus.
This gradually supplanted the death industrial minimalism that came before and spawned the subgenre of apocalyptic pop. It evolved into a lighthearted version of himself – sonically speaking – populated with risqué stories in all shades of grey. The centerpiece of what made that EP, Menage à Quatre, is nicely tucked away here until almost at the end. Before we get to that climax, Petersson takes us through a dozen or so naughty tales where his poetry always takes center stage to a sober yet playful, if you pardon the pun, intertwining of gentle folk and light electronic percussion.
Most depictions of the end of the world end in a fiery blaze or hordes of zombies. With Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio, however, there is little doubt they will be having plenty of fun before the apocalypse.
Release date: September 13 2019
Label: Out of Line Music
- Forty Years after Null -There’s No Answer to the Riddle
- Two Girls and a Goat (I never knew…)
- Evil wears a Mask with Your Name
- I met Jesus in a Dream (Til Illusions Fall Apart)
- Let’s Play Said the Rose to the Goat
- This is Life This is War (Let’s Play and Make Believe)
- This Knife Will Steal Your Heart –Let’s Waken the Judas in You
- There’s No Pride Love is Dead (Kiss My Eyes and Crush My Head)
- Anoint me with Vomit and Desecrate My Beliefs
- There’s A Chalice with My Semen (and Another with My Blood)
- (Social Darwinist contortion) Who is Born to Rule the World
- Ménage à Trois-There is Nothing To Regret
- The Hierophant-The Devil (You Taste Like Innocence and Broken Dreams)